Staying indoors so much during the winter months can create clutter and mess around the house. But you can wake up and spruce up a tired-looking home with a few simple cleaning and organizing routines. Here are some tips and tricks for making your home spring-clean right now, one room at a time.
* Window blinds collect dust and dust mites all winter. To clean plastic blinds, add Greased Lightning to tub water. Remove blinds and let them soak in the tub. Clean them with a well-bristled brush, then let them dry and rehang them.
* Remove fabric window coverings and clean as needed. Use a feather duster around window frames to remove cobwebs and dust.
* Freshen up carpets by sprinkling baking soda on them, letting it sit for 30 minutes, then vacuuming.
* Use an adhesive lint roller to get the dust off of fabric lampshades.
* Try a new furniture arrangement to freshen up the look of the room. When you need to move heavy pieces of furniture across uncarpeted floors, fold two clean towels, put one under each end of the furniture piece, then slide it across the floor.
* Clean out the refrigerator and freezer, making sure to get rid of all expired products and old leftovers. Remove shelving and drawers and wipe them down using mild soapy water.
* Tackle your oven, inside and out. If your oven is self-cleaning, set it in the self-cleaning mode. Consult your manual for an estimated cleaning time. If your oven is not a self-cleaning appliance, use the cleaning solution to wipe away baked on grease and grime. Remember to make sure the oven is cool before applying the solution.
* Don't forget to clean your dishwasher, too. Remove trapped food particles from the bottom and around any moving parts. Pour a cup of vinegar into the empty dishwasher and run it to clean the inside.
* Launder bed linens - including dust ruffles, bedspreads and pillow shams.
* Move furniture around so you can vacuum underneath and get rid of any dust bunnies that might have accumulated.
* Now's a great time to clean out clothes closets. Empty closets to vacuum and dust inside. Then, before putting clothes back, sort through them and get rid of those items that no longer fit or that you don't wear anymore.
* Clean blinds, light fixtures and ceiling fans. Wipe smudges off of light switch covers and door frames, too.
* Wipe down and disinfect all fixtures. Remember lighting fixtures, too. Carefully remove glass fixtures and clean with warm, soapy water. Let them dry thoroughly before reattaching.
* Sort through products and discard or recycle old bottles and containers. Get rid of excess clutter in your bathroom cabinets.
* You can use Greased Lightning to remove grease, grime, mildew stains and soap scum from your bathroom surfaces, including tubs, sinks, toilets, counters and baseboards.
To get additional tips to spruce up your home, as well as coupons from Greased Lightning, Like them on Facebook, or visit www.glcleans.com.